Thursday, October 21, 2010

Google Calendar is great

For some time I have been trying to share the family calendars and get them all on my iphone. I got my work calendar on using Google sync. To do this I created a separate gmail account and synced it with the outlook on my PC.

Stage 2 was my calendar. This I used my current Google account. I then shared my work gmail with this account.

I also discovered that I could create several calendars on one account so I was able to setup the soccer account.

Stage3: Once this is all setup I then used Thunderbird as my main email tool going forward and added an add-on called lightning and another add-on called "provider for google calendar" With these 2 in place I could then add my calendars to my email browser. The website explains how to do this.

Stage 4: Adding it to the iphone. I have an iphone 3 and my exchange is already in use to I had to use calDav instead. This works really well and google details how to do this at http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=151674

Stage 5: tell google calender to show supplimental calendars. Go to https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect while logged in and you can see all the Calendars.

Now I can see my personal calendar and work calendars easily on the iPhone!

I have now convinced my wife to try it and she can now add to my Calendar any reminders and we can see where the kids etc have to be. Even the dog has a Calendar!

No comments:

Post a Comment